The European Forest Institute (EFI) is an international organization established by European States. EFI is actively enhancing its ability to respond to European and regional research and policy needs. This is addressed through its research and policy support at EFI Headquarters and Regional Offices, building on the extensive expertise within its EFI Associate Member network as well as other relevant expert networks.
The post will involve in particular:
- The implementation and development of the OEF programmes:
(1) microeconomics – forest investment analysis;
(2) macroeconomics – forest sector modelling including criteria and indicators for sustainable forest management; and
(3) the observatory function – communication and participatory research with civil society.
- Leading the development of the observatory function. The OEF Manager will develop and implement innovative and timely information products/services in close cooperation with all EFI units and Regional Offices based on needs at regional, EU and European level.
- Acquiring external funding within the the research/information activities of OEF.
- Administrative and personnel management in accordance with EFI administrative/financial rules and guidelines.
- Building and maintaining networks with relevant stakeholders and ensuring cooperation with core partners/experts, in particular within the EFI Associate Member network.
- Ensuring close cooperation with the Nancy-Freiburg-Zurich Forest Network (NFZ.forestnet), which consists of research organizations and universities actively engaged in forest and landscape research at national, regional and international level.
- Maintaining strong collaboration with research and training organizations in Nancy and the Lorraine region, including the local centres of INRA and AgroParisTech, the University of Lorraine, devoted to forest ecology, management and economics.
Besides the above, the OEF Manager will ensure the OEF is an integral part of EFI and EFICENT-OEF. The applicant is expected to foster close cooperation with EFI research and policy support activities and with Regional Offices, and identify options for joint projects. One important activity is the development of a ‘European Forest Risk Facility’ where information collection and its analysis, targeted information services/products and the analysis of socio-economic impacts are of central importance.
Extended experience in administration, financial and personnel management and team building are required in order to create an inspiring team environment. The OEF Manager will work in close collaboration with, and reports to, the Head of Office of EFICENT-OEF.
- At least five years of international working experience.
- Solid background in office and personnel management, project coordination and good communication skills.
- PhD or equivalent in the field of forestry, economics or environmental sciences.
- Extensive knowledge of the European forest sector.
- Proficiency in English; good knowledge of French is an asset.
The OEF Manager will be an EFI staff member. The position offers a challenging opportunity to support EFI in achieving its strategic aims within a stimulating international environment. The successful candidate will be expected to take up the post as soon as is reasonably practical. A fixed-term appointment of between two and three years is envisaged, with the possibility of extension.
Interested candidates are requested to apply online by 24 February 2013, submitting their application letter and CV with salary request (net). If it is not possible to apply online please send your application to Human Resources Office, EFI, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
EFI encourages submissions from female candidates. All applications will be handled confidentially.
Further information on the position can be obtained from: Andreas Schuck, EFICENT-OEF Head of Office, email: email@example.com.